Friday, September 08, 2006

Pick of the Week: Firefly



So I haven't been keeping up with my pick of the week, but I'm so into the show firefly, that I have to get give you a chance to know that it exists. My first reaction was the same as yours. "You think that I would have any interest in a Sci-Fi, meets western, written by Joss Wheaten?" Well, I gave it a chance, and it is brilliant. The TV series Firefly was a FOX television show that was canceled mid-season and recently released to DVD. There are only 13 episodes, and I watched them, completely devastated that there were no more. But then, Serenity, the movie, which is also kind of the show's finale was released in theaters. I know, who makes a movie out of a cancelled TV show? (Okay, yes, Star Trek, but this is way better!) Firefly has all the humor that most Sci-Fi's miss, the intelligence that most drama lacks, and the mystery and intrigue that has me almost feeling guilty trying to get you all to watch it, b/c I know that 13 episodes and one movie later, there will be no more. You will be left with the same questions as the rest of the firefly watching world. There are websites and polls and petitions trying to get the show released straight to DVD, or some other station to pick it up. There are charity events that raise thousands of dollars for wellness organizatoins based around the comminatory that Firefly brings.

No comments: