Friday, September 08, 2006

Am I Happy?


I wrote this in response to one of my friend's blogs that posted the question, "Are you happy?"

I am stupidly, ridiculously, shamelessly happy. I usually don't even know why. I start by thinking I have everything and more, and more. I love the street that I have to drive down on my way home from work. It is the most beautifully street in the world. I have my perfect dream house, with wood floors, built in bookcases, and it is painted in colors that I got to pick out. I have the perfect dog, who knows tons of tricks and just looking at him makes me happy. I have a beautiful husband, who loves me and takes care of me and we celebrated our third anniversary in June. God has blessed me at being good at visual production and photography. I have a love for hanging out with jr. high and high school kids, that most people would classify as crazy, but being around them just makes me understand why we are alive. I love my church and the people who I'm in leadership with and I have great friends and I have freedom to worship.

But this is all fleeting.... So why am I happy? I then think because this world is not my home, because there is a angry, worrier God who is fighting for justice and redemption in darkest most hellish corners of the world. Because I have more than today, more than all these earthly blessings to go Home to.

I usually forget about how good I have it, I take for granted that I get to eat 3 meals a day and breathe on my own, and STILL God is faithful to keep pouring on all the earthly blessings, even though they aren't the point. I am happy because I have a God who delights in me and desires my happiness. I am happy because I have a purpose, a home, and a Good Father, who opens my eyes to how good I really do have it. To say that happiness cannot measure a life well lived, is kind of stupid. If you are truly happy it is because you are living life in praise and thanks for life God is letting you live well. To not be happy with all the blessings you have earthly or not, is not giving God his due.

So if you read this, tell me what makes you happy on my comment page.

No comments: