Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Pick of the week: Post Secret



I learned about this website in the class that I took last semester. I'm sure that it is old news to some of you, but I was intrigued, especially when I learned that the All American Reject song, "Dirty Little Secret was about this blog site. It is called Post Secret.

People from all over the country, maybe the world, send this guy, Frank, post cards with their "dirty little secrets" on them. Some of them are painful, some funny, some scary, some just artistic, but still it is this beautiful collage of all these people's art. It is all anonymous, and the site might not be for everyone's eyes, but there is something to be learned from this site.

It had 25 million hits last year. People come to the "alter", so to speak, and pour themselves out. All kinds of people with all kinds of things to confess. Frank changes the post cards every Sunday for an all new hodgepodge of art and feeling and realizations. He has also set up a Hope Suicide Hotline for people to call in and have someone to talk to about their pain.

This site brings to light not only the problems that the American people are dealing with, but forum, where people can come as they are and share their deepest hurts and longings and receive help for whatever they are struggling with. A place where they can feel save and not judged. Obviously, there is a need for this in our society since so many people have responded to the Post Secret site.
You can link from my home page or here is the link.
http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Cary said...

I am a huge fan of the site. Once, I was so creeped out by a postcard that I couldn't sleep for a few nights, but mostly, I am just in awe of how deep people are compared to how little we really care. There's always a bigger story. I'm glad you mentioned the website on your blog.